Wednesday 13 January 2010

Winter Wonderland



After a couple of days of warmer weather and snow melt, this scene greeted me on awakening this morning, traditionally the coldest day of the year. Snow really changes a landscape and gives it an ethereal quality, deadening noise as noise waves are absorbed within it's crystal make up. But snow also brings problems to our little feathered friends and it is especially important at times like this to put some food out to help the birds in their foraging for food. The RSPB gives some helpful tips on what to feed the birds that visit your garden. Attracting birds to your garden is a very wonderful thing to do and the little splashes of colour among the trees and shrubbery is a delight that lifts the spirits. Don't forget that it is equally important to put out some water on a cold or snowy day as the usual supply might well be frozen. A shallow dish such as a saucer is probably best.

Here is another picture of my garden taken this morning.


2 comments:

  1. That does not look like a London garden, it's at least 15 times too big. This Londoner patter is all tosh, isn't it? You live in Godalming - and I claim my five pounds.

    Nice blog though, keep it up

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,

    Thank you for your comment. It is a London garden though! As I do have a London postal code. I've just had a quick perusal of your blog and I love the article about my favourite beverage. As you seemingly adore tea check out Lainie Sips as listed above on my blog list. She lives just outside Chicago and is doing her best to re-educate the former colonials as to the great benefits of tea.

    ReplyDelete