Wednesday 13 January 2010

Six Degrees of Separation - update


I went to see this play last night at the Old Vic theatre. There was a sprinkling of 'luvvies' in the audience enjoying a pre-performance glass of champagne in the 'Air America' bar. I thoroughly enjoyed the play but at first I couldn't help wondering why John Guare had made the central character of Paul, a con-man into a hero. But then Americans have always worshipped their 'bad boys and girls', haven't they? I guess it started off with the likes of Billy the Kid, followed by John Dillinger,  Bonnie And Clyde and most recently characters such as 'Omar Little' in the Wire.

Rather than let me prattle on about what I thought were the highs and lows of the play, although they were mainly highs, especially Obi Abili who portrays the character, Paul. I will instead direct you to this well written piece about said play.

The play continues at the Old Vic until 3rd April and if you are under 25, you can purchase a ticket for £12.

No comments:

Post a Comment